Only choose from the best reviewed and the most reputed electric motor for kayaks. The best control, the best prices & the most durable products only.
Are you really giving your kayak the best trolling motors ? Do you have what it takes to have the best time in the waters? Are you looking for the best electric motor for kayak? Well, if this is so, then you are definitely at the right place.
In this section, we are going to have a look at some of the things you should consider if you want to have the most outstanding electric motor for kayak fishing. In addition to this, we’ll have a look at some of the best products there are for you in the market.
Just as much as you pay attention to all the other components on your kayak, you should also do as much when it comes to the electric motor for kayak.
How To Choose The Best Trolling Motor for Kayak?
Do you love freshwater fishing or salt water fishing?
Normally, manufacturers will design a trolling motor in such a way that it would perform best in either saltwater or in the fresh waters. If you are going to do most of your fishing in the saltwater, then it is best that you only go for the option that does not give in to corrosion easily.
Normally, the saltwater trolling motors are expected to give in to corrosion more easily as compared to the ones that are meant for fresh water. The only way via which manufacturers can make this possible is the coating the metal with a protective layer for added durability. The greatest protection on the motors is normally at the mechanical and the electrical parts of the motor.
Ensure that you mount it at the best possible position
Transom trolling motors
Though you may be having the best trolling motor for a kayak, it would be similar to having none at all if you have it mounted at an inappropriate position. Normally, there are two types of trolling motors for kayaks which include the transform mount motor and the bow mount motor.
The transform mounted trolling motor is normally mounted at the back of the transform boat and it is hand operated meaning that you can easily be able to navigate with it. If you have a small boat, then these are definitely the best trolling motor for kayak you should not miss out of your shopping list.
When it comes to the installation of the transom electric motors for kayaks, then you’ll simply need to clamp it on to the stern of your boat as it will be able to work with any form of craft.
Bow Trolling motors
An alternative to the transform mount motors is the bow mounted motors. These are popular since they can be operated by hand, foot or alternatively, you can be able to control them wirelessly. With this type of motor, you’ll have the best control and maneuverability but on the downside, when put side by side to their transform-motor counterparts, their price is steeper.
Another thing that is worth mentioning about the bow mounted motors is that they have got a spring-loaded mount that will allow the motor to swing away upon impact.
If you go for the bow mount trolling motors for kayaks, then you will need to have sufficient room so as to be able to do this most effectively. You’ll need to also have a mounting bracket or plate so as to fix the housing. You must also have a flat bottom platform from which you will be doing your fishing so that the set-up of the motor shall be feasible.
Will it be foot controlled or hand controlled.
Most fishermen will control their trolling motors either by hand or by foot upon making their purchase of the bow mount motors.
If you choose to control your trolling motor by foot, then it means that you’ll have your hands free. In addition to this, it will definitely be easier to let your foot do all the work for you as you do your fishing. Another advantage of using your foot is that you can be able to control at any position on your boat.
On the downside, the mechanics used in the construction of foot control is complex which means that there will be more parts that are likely to break or malfunction. The response time of the foot control is also slower and in addition to this, there will be more clutter or rather it will take up most of the space on your deck.
Controlling your kayak trolling motor by hand means that you will definitely be able to have better control and the response time will be almost immediately. Another upside of being able to control your trolling motor by hand is that you won’t have to worry about much space being taken up after having it installed.
On the downside, you will not always have your hand on your fishing rod if you choose to go for the hand-controlled trolling motors; in addition to this, you’ll be needed to be at the bow for you to be able to use the motor.
Boat Size is Always Important
Obviously, the size of your kayak has got to match up to the size of your trolling motor. Normally, the bigger the size of your boat, the bigger your trolling motor is expected to be. The reason for this is obvious, with a greater boat size, you will need more thrust which will be able to propel you most effectively.
In most instances, the minimum length that you can have on your kayak is 12 feet whereas the maximum possible length is normally 22 feet. With the small size, you will need 30 pounds of thrust for effective propulsion under normal fishing conditions. On the other hand, the 22- foot long kayak will need an electric motor for kayak that will be able to provide as much as 101 pounds of thrust also under normal fishing conditions.
Don’t forget the length of the shaft.
Another thing that you should pay heed to before you make your purchase of a trolling motor is the length of the shaft. Normally, if the shaft is too short, then the prop may not be sufficiently submerged in the waters when the prevailing fishing conditions are rough. On the other hand, if it is too long, then this may pose as a huge problem if you go fishing in shallow waters.
What most people do when determining the shaft length is having a look at the height of the bow or stern.
How about the power consumption rate?
Another thing that is worth mentioning about choosing electric motor for kayaks is the rate of power consumption.
This is normally determined by the size of your boat. The amount of battery capacity that you will have to install so as to satisfy the energy demands of the motor. Also, whether you scan be able to charge your batteries while underway should determine the nature of the trolling motor.
Having a look at the ampere draw of the models you have in mind would do the trick. Normally, the larger electric motors for kayaks will normally draw a great amount of power as compared to the smaller models. How long you fish should determine the amount of power you’ll consume as well.
How will you best control your motor? What is the amount of thrust that you should go for? What should be the best nature of construction for your trolling motor? These are some of the features that you should take into consideration before making your purchase of a trolling motor. Always ensure that while you pay attention to all details on the motor regarding performance and durability, you get just the correct amount of thrust regarding the size of your kayakJustin Hoffman
10 Best Trolling Motor for Kayak
Now that we know what to look for when we want to have the best trolling motor for kayak, we can move on to looking at some of the best.
1. Newport Vessels 55 Pound Thrust 8 Speed Electric Trolling Motor
Newport Vessels 55 Pound Thrust 8 Speed Electric Trolling Motor
One of the best things that you can get from an electric motor is durability. Taking this in to consideration, it is worth mentioning that the Newport Vessels 55 Pound Thrust 8 Speed Electric Trolling Motor has got a stainless steel hardware that makes it one of the best for salt water use.
With the 55lb thrust, you have the advantage of being able to propel your kayak with ease. Other than having an outstanding thrust capability, you will also be able to enjoy the 8 speeds that come with the motor.
As for the weight, you won’t have to worry about being slowed down as the components from which this motor is made are lightweight.
- Comes with stainless steel hardware which makes it ideal for saltwater use.
- 55lb thrust is quite ample for propelling most vessels such as kayaks, dinghies and fishing boats.
- Lightweight and portable- you don’t have to worry about lagging behind which would be the case if it were heavier.
- When switching between the speeds, there are no clicks or any way to notify you that you have reached a specific selection
2. Minn Kota Endura C2 30 Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motor
Minn Kota Endura C2 30 Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motor
Definitely one of the best trolling motors in its class. For starters, it comes with 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds and with this, it is crystal clear that you’ll be able to have the best control.
With this 12-volt fresh water transom motor, you’ll be able to get as much as 30 units of thrust. This makes it one of the best electric motors for kayaks among other vessels.
One more thing that makes this transom motor stand out from the crowd is the fact that it has got cool and quiet power that is able to maximize the battery life. In addition to this, you don’t have to worry about scaring away the fish.
Has got a 6-inch telescopic handle and a tilt twist tiller for the best speed control and steering. In addition to this, there is a lever lock bracket that allows for a rock solid mount.
- Comes with 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds for the best control.
- Comes with cool quiet power that is able to maximize battery life and at the same time doesn’t spook the fish.
- Has got a telescopic handle and a tilt twist tiller for the best spend control and steering. The lever lock bracket on the motor also offers a rock solid mount
- Though this trolling motor has got some of the best specs, you cannot be able to enjoy its use in salt water.
3. Minn Kota Endura C2 40 Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motor
Minn Kota Endura C2 40 Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motor
Looking for one of the best trolling motors for you out there? Then this should definitely not miss out of your shopping list.
Owing to the fact that it has got a maximum thrust of 40, you’ll not find it hard at all to propel your kayak. Despite the high thrust level, it is cool and quiet which means that you’ll have a longer battery life hence longer motor operation.
The shaft is quite strong as well. Upon impact, the shaft will flex before returning to the original position. The good thing about it is that it will neither break, kink nor corrode which makes this one of the best electric trolling motors for kayaks for you.
- Comes with cool, quiet power- this means that you’ll conserve power and at the same time won’t scare away the fish.
- With a maximum thrust of 40, you can be able to use this motor most efficiently and effectively on your kayak.
- The tilt twist tiller features a natural ergonomic grip that is able to deliver the best control for speed and steering.
- Though it has got some of the best features, it is exclusively for use only in fresh waters.
4. MinnKota Edge 45 Bowmount Foot Control Trolling Motor
MinnKota Edge 45 Bowmount Foot Control Trolling Motor
If you are looking for one of the best foot pedal trolling motors, then this one should not miss out of your shopping list whatsoever. The latch and door mount for instance allows for easy removal.
Owing to the fact that it comes with 5 speeds, navigation will not be a problem at all. In addition to this, the foot pedal on the trolling motor is ergonomic hence the best control.
Durability is one of the features that makes this one of the best choices for you out there. The motor comes with an aluminum spine and in addition to this, it has got an impact-resistant composite head which means that strength is not compromised.
- Comes with 5 forward speeds- with these, navigation won’t be a problem at all; you will easily be able to switch between these to reach your favorite fishing spots.
- Comes with an ergonomic foot pedal- this is easy to use and more so, you’ll have both hands free to do your fishing effectively.
- Comes with a latch and door mount for easy removal.
- The plastic clip that cradles the shaft may break easily when the shaft comes down.
5. Goplus® New 55lbs Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Moto
Goplus® New 55lbs Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Moto
If you are looking for one of the best electric trolling motors for kayaks, then you should definitely consider taking a look at this one. With 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds, you won’t have to have worried about easily navigating to your destination.
Comes with 3 propeller blades which are just what you need for your small or medium sized kayak. In addition to this, the motor comes with a 10 point LED lights battery indicators. These will enable you to know the amount of power you have left as you are out in the waters.
Another things that is worth mentioning about this trolling motor is that it cones with an operational manual out of the box. With this, setting it up and using it won’t be a problem at all.
The maximum thrust of the motor is 55lbs; this is quite ample for propelling your vessel with ease.
- Has got 8 speeds- 5 forward and 3 reverse which simplify navigation.
- The motor comes with a telescopic handle- this makes it easy for you to be able to gain full control of your vessel.
- With as much as 55lbs of thrust, you’ll be able to use any medium sized or small kayak with utmost ease and efficiency
- Though this motor Has got outstanding features, it is not the best choice for use in the salt water.
6. Goplus® New 46lbs Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motor
Goplus® New 46lbs Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motor
If you are looking for one of the best trolling motor for kayak, then you should definitely consider having a look at this one. With a maximum thrust of as much as 46 lbs., this trolling motor stands out as the best choice for any small or medium sized kayak.
10 points LED lights battery indicators make it easier for you to know how long you have left in the waters. Another thing that is worth mentioning is that all you need is a 12v battery on this motor to get you going.
As for the use and assembling of the trolling motor, you’ll have an operational manual out of the box which will definitely be of assistance.
The motor does come with a 6” telescopic handle. This is what you definitely need for the best trolling motor for a kayak since you’ll easily be able to operate it by hand.
- Comes with 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds which makes navigation quite easy.
- Within the package is an operational manual that shows you how to use the motor.
- With the 6” adjustable handle, you’ll easily be able to direct your vessel with ease.
- The only setback about this motor is that as good as it is, you cannot be able to use it in saltwater.
7. Newport Vessels NV-Series 36 lb.
Newport Vessels NV-Series 36 lb.
The Newport Vessels NV-Series 36 lb. definitely has got what it takes to give you the best performance in the waters. With 36 lb. of thrust, this stands as one of the best choices for either a small sized or medium sized kayak.
Definitely built to last. Considering that it is constructed out of stainless steel hardware, you can be able to use it as a trolling motor for kayak saltwater and fresh water fishing.
Still on the durability, it is worth mentioning that the 30 inch shaft on the motor is constructed from composite fiberglass which has got a heavy duty nylon mount for the best durability.
The 5 LED battery meter on it allows you to see the amount of charge left on your trolling motor battery. As for the handle, this is a 6-inch telescopic handle which gives you the best experience on navigation.
- Comes with 5 forward speeds and 3 backward speeds for the best navigation experience.
- The stainless steel hardware allows you to use it as a trolling motor for kayak saltwater fishing as well as in freshwater fishing.
- The 5 point LED battery meter on it allows you to see the amount of charge left on your battery for the best performance.
- Considering that there is not even a rubber gasket in the shaft, water comes in and stays in the casing which in turn may damage the water if you are in salt water.
8. Out sunny 12V Transom Mounted Thrust Electric Fishing Boat Trolling Motor
Out sunny 12V Transom Mounted Thrust Electric Fishing Boat Trolling Motor
When shopping for the best trolling motors, durability should not be overlooked whatsoever. Taking this into consideration, it is worth mentioning that on this motor, you’ll have a composite shaft that adds on to the durability.
Another feature that makes this an outstanding 12v motor is that it is able to easily cruise through both freshwater and saltwater.
The motor also comes with 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds that make it the best choice when it comes to ease of navigation. Speaking of navigation, it is worth mentioning that the motor comes with a 6” adjustable handle which makes it better for you to control your vessel.
The motor does come with a metal head which allows you to be able to take it out with you on all sorts of adventures.
- Comes with a comfortable 6” adjustable telescopic handle which allows you to be able to use the motor with utmost ease.
- With the metal head, this may just be the best electric motor for fishing that you just need as you’ll be able to take it out on all sorts of fishing grounds.
- You can be able to mount the motor in 10 different positions and it also has a lever lock bracket that makes installing extra simple.
- The only problem about this motor is that you may find it hard to manage the different speeds.
9. Out sunny 12V Transom Mounted 55-Pound Thrust Electric Fishing Boat Trolling Motor
Out sunny 12V Transom Mounted 55-Pound Thrust Electric Fishing Boat Trolling Motor
One feature that we’ll always look for on a trolling motor is whether or not we can be able to handle it with ease; well, taking this into consideration, it is worth mentioning that this trolling motor is designed in such a way that you get to have a comfortable handle for improved steering.
With up to 55 pounds of thrust, you can be ale to cruise via both saltwater and freshwater which makes it the best for you if you want to get your first motor.
The 13” adjustable telescoping handle makes it comfortable and better to steer with hence one of the best that you can get in its class.
- Comes with a comfortable handle which makes steering better.
- The motor comes with a composite shaft and metal head which makes it sturdy and durable for all sorts of adventures.
- Owing to the fact that it is usable in both saltwater and freshwater, this stands out to be one of the best due to its durability in both cases.
10. Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor
Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor
This is definitely one of the best trolling motors you can get for your cash out there. With an autopilot feature, you can simply spend less time in steering your boat and more time catching fish.
Still on navigation, another feature that makes this one of the most interesting trolling motors for fishing is that it comes with an ergonomic foot pedal. With this, you’ll be able to have a precise adjustment for both left and right steering. There is also an optional wireless foot pedal and as for the one with a cord, you’ll have it in a waterproof design that satisfies the IP68 rating.
The windings on this trolling motor are extra-large in size which means that they will dissipate less heat which results to cooler operation. This extends the battery life which means that the motor life will also be extended.
Outstanding shaft. On this trolling motor is a shaft that is constructed out of ultra-high-yield composite material which is able to flex upon impact then return to its original position. You therefore do not have to worry about kinking, corroding, rusting or breaking.
- Cool and quiet operation- this is enabled by the extra-large commuters which in turn gives you a longer battery life and motor operation.
- Comes with an ergonomic foot pedal for easy operation which also has got a wireless variant.
- You can also enable the autopilot feature that allows you to fish with your hands free.
- Though the performance is awesome, it can be a little bit difficult to get used to navigate using it; unhooking for instance may prove difficult at times.
Electric motors for kayaks are one of the most essential components that you can have mounted on your vessel. Taking this into consideration, their importance on movement and maneuverability should not be overlooked.
You should pay attention to every detail on the trolling motor if you want to have the best performance. Ensuring that the size of the motor matches up to the size of your vessel should cover almost everything that you’ll need to pay heed to.
Having hand a look at some of the best trolling motor for kayak that you can choose from, it shouldn’t be hard to get the one that suits you just perfectly.